Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Chicken Soup




Well today seemed like the day to make the first batch of feel well soup, several members of the family were feeling under the weather ..

1/2 large onion
2 ribs celery
1 large garlic clove
I put these into the Cuisinart and pulse till finely chopped

2-3 table spoons olive oil

heat pan to med high add onion mixture and saute till soft
add spices...I use...cayenne 1/8 tsp, french seasonings 1/2 tsp, 1/2 tsp of basil, and 1/2 tsp of mint, I throw these in at the end of sauteing to bring out their flavor, add salt and pepper to taste.

3 quarts organic chicken broth(when I don't have this I use knorrs bouillon cubes 1 cube to every 2 cups of water, I was making a big batch today)

I chopped approx 1/2 -3/4 cup kale chop finely
added 3/4 cup of grated carrots,1 zucchini chopped in small pieces,
3/4 cup of frozen corn and peas, 5-6 small baby portabella chopped in small pieces

after you add the broth bring it to a boil,add chopped up chicken I used 7 small tenderloins today it was heavier on chicken flavor than meat today...after 5 mins add all veg's at once cook for a few mins 5-10 max I don't like mushy veggies

turn off soup and let sit for half an hour usually that's long enough for the zucchini to cook but still have texture.

when I make this soup I start the rice in a pan separately , I have learned through the years if you want broth cook the rice or pasta separately, I used 3 cups water 2 cups Jasmin rice today you can use any rice you like... I add the rice in 2 ways...sometimes I put rice in bowls and pour the soup over the rice I did this today for the lunch bowls with Ruby.....after I add the rice all at once for the dinner meal serve immediately after adding to hot broth.....I then put half into a ball jar and put right into the frig for tomorrow.

I am admittedly addicted to lemons ..I would eat dirt if you squeezed lemon on it...so there are two ways I serve this soup...1/ just the way it is and with lemon wedges for me to squeeze in ......2/ I juice 2 lemons add to 2 beaten eggs add hot broth to the egg mixture stirring quickly so the eggs don't curdle till its warm then add back into the soup and stir very quickly remove from stove and serve.. reheat gently for leftovers............that is the Greek antibiotic chicken soup called Aveglemo chicken soup it is by far my favorite and when I make it that way I add a bit more mint to the mix....

I will add pictures tomorrow.......night all

No comments:

Post a Comment